Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"All Things with Thankfulness"



So this is a great time of year to reflect on all the things that we have been given.  As I was studying the scriptures getting ready for the holiday, I came across a couple of verses that really stood out.  The first one is Doctrine and Covenants section 59, verse 21.  It reads: "And in nothing does man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments."  I think it is amazing that in all the things we stupidly do, God still loves us and it is only when we deny His hand in our lives that He is displeased.  It gives some good motivation to be grateful.

Now compare that verse to Doctrine and Covenants 78:19.  It reads: "And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, even more."  Those who are grateful for everything, instead of being cursed are blessed more than they can imagine.  Pretty cool if you ask me.

So it wouldn't be right if I did not write what I was grateful for.  Of course, this won't be a complete list, but I'll do my best.  I am grateful for......

family, friends, my mission, beautiful sunrises, scriptures, prayer, my testimony, church leaders, the prophet, Montana, cars, heaters, trench coats, house, the fire that burned our house, snow, trials, people who tell us no, people who tell us yes, other missionaries, President and Sister Gardner, food, this country, the soldiers that laid down their lives defending freedom, the soldiers that are still fighting, technology, science, school, education, mail, money, clothes, rain, sunshine, moonlight, stars, this Earth we have to live on, Mormon Tabernacle choir, other music, movies, chess, board games, card games, my health, my life, my eyes, my fingers, my mouth, my hair, my legs, my brain, my heart, chemistry, history, math, English, talents, gifts, the love of our Heavenly Father, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and especially the atoning sacrifice of our Savior Jesus Christ.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  May we all try harder to "receive all things with thankfulness."

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...