Thursday, June 30, 2011

Twelve Men

Before I came out on my mission, I heard it said that in the two years you serve a mission you learn lessons that would otherwise take you twenty years  to learn.  When I heard that I did not believe it, but having served I can say that is true.  

As my full-time missionary service is drawing to a close, I have been reflecting on the past two years and all the things I have learned from my experience here.  I have decided that I want to share some of those lessons through a couple of blog posts.

I was privileged to serve with some of the greatest missionaries here in Montana and Wyoming.  The twelve companions I had on the mission have done so much for me and taught me so many things.  Some of them I was with for only six weeks and others I spent longer; however, regardless of how long we were companions, I was taught and edified by each and everyone of them.  Here are just a few of the lessons I have learned from them, in no particular order.

  • What genuine service means.
  • Humility means trusting in the Lord and letting him guide your life.
  • How to be a leader through example rather than words.
  • Some of the biggest regrets you will have in life are how you treated people.
  • Miracles happen as you pray and have faith.
  • You cannot always wait for someone to give directions.  Step up when you know what is right.
  • Expect the unexpected, especially in the people whom you call friends.
  • Nothing drives the Spirit away faster than disobedience and contention.
  • Everyone has personal issues.  Some are obvious and some are hidden.  The trick is to love no matter what.
  • It is ok to have fun and be crazy every now and then.
  • You will have to be patient with others a lot of the time.  Just know that people feel the same way about you.  
  • There is no lasting joy nor pleasure in disobedience to the commandments.
  • You cannot do everything by yourself all the time. 
  • You never stand taller than when you are on your knees.
  • True repentance is a continual process that changes lives.
  • How to have true love for people you serve.
  • Give it your all and get out to work!
The Lord truly blesses us with the lessons we need to learn and the people to teach them to us.  I am grateful for the chance I had to serve with each and every one of these missionaries, as well as all the missionaries whom I served around.  Without them, I would not be the person I am today, a dedicated disciple of our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Elder Mortensen
MTC: July 15th - August 4th, 2009

 
Elder King
Worland: August 5th - September 14th, 2009

Elder Cook
Missoula: September 15th - December 7th, 2009
Elder Isham
Great Falls: December 8th, 2009 - January 18th, 2010
Elder Wardell
Great Falls: January 19th - March 1st, 2010

Elder Orton
Great Falls: March 2nd - May 24th, 2010

Elder Murillo
Great Falls: May 25th - July 5th, 2010
Elder Senior
Stevensville: July 6th - August 16th, 2010

Elder King (round 2)
Bigfork/Lakeside: August 17th - September 27th, 2010


Elder Carlson
Bigfork/Lakeside: September 28th - December 20th, 2010
Elder Moore
Shepherd: December 21st, 2010 - April 25th 2011
Elder Ika
Billings: April 26th - June 6th, 2011
Elder Garcia
Billings: June 7th, 2011 - present (will end on July 18th)
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...